top of page
At the midpoint of the Korean War, Guy Bordelon was transferred to Composite Squadron Three at Moffett Field, California. VC-3 was the only Pacific based Navy All-Weather fighter squadron. The assigned aircraft was the famous Chance-Vought CORSAIR F4U-5N. Carrier based on the USS Princeton with five pilots and aircraft, Bordelon’ s Team "Dog" carried out the most dangerous mission of any other air unit. Their missions involved nightly interdiction actions against Communist supply trucks and trains using mountainous routes through North Korea.

Armed with 20MM cannon with High Explosive incendiary shells, and 250lb. bombs under their wings, Team "Dog" pilots destroyed anything that moved down the precipitous mountain routes.


During this time, the U.N. forces were being harassed at night by North Korean aircraft, which were bombing supply depots. Over 15,000,000 gallons of aviation fuel had been destroyed by these attacks and they had to be stopped. Bordelon and his VC-3 pilots were transferred to Pyongtaek Airfield 30 miles south of Seoul to intercept these aircraft.

Bordelon’s first night kills were on a bright moonlit night. He was vectored to incoming unknowns flying in from the north. Acquiring an aircraft with radar, Guy closed to visual range and found himself at point blank range with a YAK-18. The enemy’s rear gunner opened fire and Guy replied with his 20mm cannons. The enemy plane banked hard left and Guy pulled in firing another burst into the plane, which exploded into flames. Moments later, Guy was vectored to another YAK-18. Guy pulled in close and fired into the enemy sending it to the ground in flames.


The next night Bordelon was patrolling over the Imjin River and was directed to two incoming aircraft. Using his onboard radar, Guy closed in on the bogey until he could visually identify them as Lavochkin fighters. Pulling up on the rear plane, Guy opened up with his 20MM cannon. The plane’s wing crumpled on fire sending the aircraft to the earth. The lead aircraft turned to avoid Guy and flew over Communist Anti Aircraft batteries for protection. Guy pulled in close and once clearing the ground fire fell back some and opened fire into the enemy aircraft making it his fourth kill.

Guy’s final victory came three weeks later when a fellow pilot, Lt. Ralph "Hoppy" Hopson lost aircraft radar while closing in on an enemy target. Guy was then vectored to the enemy with the help of the ground controllers. After making contact, Guy was ready to fire when the enemy began frantic evasive maneuvers leading Guy back into the Communist Anti Aircraft batteries. Guy pulled in close and stuck with the enemy and as before fell back and fired a long burst from astern. The enemy rolled hard right and exploded. Bordelon was momentarily blinded. Turning on his preset autopilot, Guy was able to regain his eyesight and returned to base as the only Navy Ace of the Korean War and the last prop Ace.


Guy and his fellow pilots proved that in the right hands, even in the Jet Age, the rugged and reliable CORSAIR could perform the most dangerous tasks and bring back the pilot safely.

"F4U Navy Corsair Ace, Guy Bordelon"